[Posted May 8, 2016] Back by popular demand after a three-year hiatus due to on-campus construction, the Uni Hi Education Foundation presents the Uni All-Classes Picnic and Car Show!
The program will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and admission is free. Come back to campus and check out the Uni of today:
Opening at 11 a.m.:
- Uni’s marvelous new AstroTurf football field and all-weather Rekortan running track.
- A bevy of collector’s cars on the Upper Field, coordinated by Neal Rein ‘66. He reports commitments for classics including Cadillacs, Chevrolets and Ford of the 1950s, not to mention an apple-green 1926 Ford Model T Tudor, a car that could have belonged to some of the first faculty members of what was then known as Warren G. Harding High School!
- Concessions and music familiar to Uni grads from the ‘50s until today, from D.J. Scott Wimmer, on the Upper Field.
Starting at 1:30 p.m.:
- Campus tours, led by current Uni students, beginning from the Upper Field. The Administration Building, Stivelman Theater, Amphitheater, gardens, The Springs and the new athletic facilities will be on the route.
- If you’ve been thinking that you’d like to add to your wardrobe with some Uni-themed apparel, the Student Store will be open (items subject to availability, but payment is by cash or checks only, please) with caps, sweatshirts, T-shirts, scarves and accessories, priced from $6-30.
At 2:00 p.m.:
- State of the School comments from Uni Principal Eric Davidson, on the Upper Field and an introduction to the important work of the Uni Hi Education Foundation.
The entire program will end by about 3 p.m. Parking will be available on the streets surrounding Uni, but there will also be limited on-campus parking in the three lots along Barrington Avenue just north of Ohio Avenue (for a campus map, click here).
The L.A. Unified School District wants you to know that “Use of these school premises has been granted pursuant to the provisions of Sections 17400 et seq., of the Education Code of the State of California to the Uni Hi Education Foundation from the Board of Education of the Los Angeles Unified School District. The Board of Education does not sponsor or take responsibility, not does it necessarily endorse any of the activities, statements, or opinions which may be expressed at this meeting of activity.”
Kampmann-Patton Honors Luncheon:
- A special luncheon will be held in the South Gym to honor legendary Uni coach Dick Kampmann and the late Mel Patton ‘43, the greatest athlete in Uni history, for whom the new athletic facilities have been named. “Kampmann Stadium” and “Patton Track” were dedicated at ceremonies held last October.
- Coach K, now 91, and his family, the Patton family, Uni legend (and Olympic bronze medalist) Craig Dixon ‘44 and Patton biographer Larry Booth will be present for the luncheon, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., in the South Gym. Doors will open at 10:30 a.m. (and not before, please).
- Massive plaques that will mark the facilities in honor of Kampmann, Patton and Uni’s first principal, Angus Cavanaugh (for whom the football field is named), will be unveiled.
- Tickets are $60 through May 10 and $75 from May 11-13 (password required: “SpecialK”). No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets may only be purchased online; please click here.
- For luncheon questions: please contact Rich Perelman ‘74.
Come see these Uni legends or come out and see Uni as it is today! We know you’ll enjoy it!