Make an Impact at Uni
New energies are coming online at University High School as it approaches its not-far-away centennial in 2024! A devoted administration and teaching corps, more lively students and new facilities for arts, athletics and recreation are all helping to raise achievement in the classroom and the community.
You can help, in a direct and meaningful way. Many academic, arts and athletic programs could reach further if they had even a little more funding. That’s where the Uni Hi Educational Foundation comes in with:
- Academic Support: Funding for Advanced Placement (AP) preparation programs for teachers to be able to offer more AP classes at Uni.
- Extra-curricular Programs: Funding for club participation, for example, entry fees to allow the rebirth of a campus Speech & Debate Program to enter competition tournaments in 2015-16. Thanks to UHEF support, two Uni students qualified for the California High School Speech Association (CHSSA) state finals!
- Scholarships for students and Endowed Chairs for teachers: The UHEF already awards annual student scholarships of $1,000 for Community Service, in honor of the late student counselor Sharon Mednick (inaugurated in 2004 for students aiming for a career in education) and for a Principal’s Award for a deserving students not otherwise recognized. More are certainly welcome!
- School naming opportunities: The UHEF provided matching funds for the naming of the new football field and all-weather track with alumni fund-raising that saw the designation of these facilities in 2015 as Kampmann Stadium (for long-time Uni coach Dick Kampmann), Patton Track (for Uni alum and Olympic gold medalist Mel Patton) and Cavanaugh Field (in honor of Uni’s first principal, Angus Cavanaugh). Some 94 individual donations were made for this program alone. Thanks to a recent change in Los Angeles Unified School District policy, many other naming opportunities are available on the Uni campus. Please ask for details.
- Yearbook preservation and presentation: The UHEF has undertaken the ongoing digital presentation of Uni’s Chieftain yearbooks, from 1925 to the present. Each yearbook can be “presented” by a class member for a donation of $199 or more and individual dedications can be made, that will be posted on that yearbook’s home page. You can even purchase a download of a fully-digitized yearbook to have for your own.
The UHEF has raised more than $1.1 million over its lifetime. Help us continue this crucial work of supporting students and alumni by giving generously via the form below.
Questions? Have an idea? We’re happy to hear them! Send your idea via the Contact Us (link) form and we’ll get back to you ASAP … or faster!