[Posted December 31, 2016] Thanks to your contributions, the UHEF was busy in 2016, not just in supporting today’s Uni, but also important projects that keep Uni’s legacy alive and tie today’s students and alumni closer. Some of the highlights:
- The UHEF financed the renovation of the computer systems for the Mednick College Center at Uni, a facility originally made possible by a donation from Steve Kirsch ‘74 and his wife Michelle.
- A new sound system was underwritten as part of the renovation of the Stivelman Theater for performing arts presentations and student assemblies.
- The UHEF underwrote the cost of tournament entry fees to help re-launch the Speech and Debate Club on campus after decades of inactivity.
- Three UHEF scholarship awards were made at the end of the 2015-16 school year. The recipients:
= Outstanding Community Service: Rosa Devora Roman and Alexandra Strong
= Jack Moskowitz Principal’s Award: Mary Qualls
= Sharon Mednick Scholarship: Jessica Sanchez
- Revival of the All-Classes Picnic and Car Show on May 15, and announcement of the first University High School Film Festival, scheduled for April 2017.
- Naming of the new athletic facilities for Uni icons Dick Kampmann (Uni cross country and track coach, 1960-85), Mel Patton ‘43 (double Olympic gold medalist in 1948) and Angus Cavanaugh (first Uni principal, 1924-35) as Kampmann Stadium, Patton Track and Cavanaugh Field.
- Creation of a free-to-view archive of Uni’s Chieftain yearbooks from 1924 through 1994, with completion of the archive through 2000 early in 2017.
- Creation of an adult version of the old “Warrior Athletic Card” (now “Wildcat Activity Card’) as the Warriors & Wildcats Activity Card for alumni.
- Launch of a new program, in coordination with Uni, to allow alumni and friends of the school to purchase books for the library, with direct shipment to the school itself.
- Continuing support for class reunion committees, providing names and mailing addresses from the UHEF’s database of more than 14,000 alumni.
All of this comes from your contributions to the UHEF, the sole, officially-authorized alumni support organization for Uni. Thank you!