Track & Field returns to Uni!
[Posted April 2, 2016] It took more than a decade and a concerted effort to get a new, quality track installed, but home track & field meets are now a regular occurrence at Uni.
Pictured above: Start of the Boys Varsity 1,600 m race vs. Hamilton and San Pedro (Photos courtesy Ivan Finkle/UHEF)
The first meet was a practice (non-scoring) affair vs. Fairfax and L.A. Center for Enriched Studies (LACES) on Thursday, March 10, followed by a three-team meet vs. San Pedro and Hamilton on March 16.
The Uni-San Pedro meet was scored, with the Wildcats winning the boys meet, 57-43 and the Pirates winning in the girls section, 54-42. Varsity event winners for Uni included:
- 800 m: Jalen Jenkins, 2:05.71
- 1600 m: Jalen Jenkins, 4:50.34
- 110 m Hurdles: Charles Adams, 16.7
- 300 m Hurdles: Charles Adams, 44.7
- Long Jump: Connor Broussard, 17-4
- Shot Put, Matthew Horwitz, 37-6
- 200 m: Kashara Iverson, 27.43
- 100 m Hurdles: Kristina Kalantarova, 19.0
- 4 x 400 m: Uni, 4:39.8
- Triple Jump: Meaghan Hall, 28-0
- Shot Put: Meaghan Hall, 25-9
Even legendary Uni coach Dick Kampmann (now 91, at Uni 1960-85) made an appearance at the meet to see the new facility – now known as Kampmnn Stadium – and see the Wildcats run in their first home meet in many years. He’s pictured below with alum Chuck Levin ‘61:
Happily, there will be many more home meets in 2016:
- April 7 vs. Venice
- April 13 vs. Palisades and Fairfax
- April 21 vs. Westchester
- April 28 vs. Hamilton
Admission for all of Uni’s home meets is free. The Western League preliminaries and finals will also be held at Uni on May 4 and May 11.